The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF), an agency of the Department of Sports, Arts, and Culture, the custodians of the South African Film and Television Awards (SAFTAs) announced the call for local production companies to submit their entries for the 14th Annual SAFTAs at the NFVF Media Day which took place at the Capital Empire Hotel in Sandton on the 15th of October 2019.
The NFVF CEO, Makhosazana Khanyile who was the Keynote speaker at the NFVF Media Day highlighted key changes in the entry guidelines:
- Any entry that does not follow the entry requirements which results in a dispute will be automatically disqualified
- Programmes that are self – commissioned and self- published shall not be eligible.
- Eligible Screenings now include Streaming
- Content exhibited via subscription-based streaming services (S-VOD, subscription video on demand) in South Africa (e.g. Netflix, Showmax) for the first time between 1 November 2018 and 31 October 2019 are eligible for entry.
- New Category: Entertainment Programme (This category includes quizzes, game shows, talent shows, music shows, music specials, and all general entertainment).
- Reality show has been separated into 2 categories
- Best Competition Reality Show Award
- Awarded to the producer(s) for outstanding achievement in the production and overall success of any programme communicating “real life” situations with a COMPETITION ELEMENT for entertainment purposes, by means of setting out challenges or activities.
- Best Structured or Docu-reality Show Award
- Awarded to the producer(s) for outstanding achievement in the production and overall success of any programme communicating “real life” or “life situations” such as the daily activities of a celebrity or resolving issues of ordinary people for entertainment purposes.
- Best Variety Show now includes comedy and talk show
- Best Wildlife Documentary has been renamed to Natural History and Environmental Programme. There is a craft award at the discretion of the jury for this category.
Lastly, the Khanyile announced the key dates and deadlines:
- Call for entries opening date: 15th October 2019
- Deadline for submissions: Friday 15th of November 2019, 17h00
- Judging will commence in November 2019
The NFVF CEO closed the event by encouraging production companies to submit their productions online by logging on to www.saftasonline.co.za