Connecting short documentary filmmakers with digital media platforms
The Global Short Docs Forum 2020 brings together 12 filmmakers selected from a global call, to attend an intensive online training programme and one-to-one pitch meetings. Over four weeks of masterclasses, workshops and mentoring we will take your short doc from conception to commission.
GSDF is open to applications from all parts of the world, for documentary projects up to 30 mins, either in production or post-production, with existing footage. 12 filmmakers will be selected to attend a series of online workshops, mentoring, and one to one pitches. GSDF 2020 will take place online in October-November 2020. We champion new and diverse voices telling international stories. We have a special interest in films that have a social, political or cultural narrative, take a solutions journalism approach or give us a new perspective on the changes we want to see in the world.
To encourage new narratives and underreported stories our focus is on filmmakers from areas with low production capacity or little global visibility, as well as underrepresented filmmakers in geographical areas of established media production. We are especially looking for stories from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia or the Post-Soviet States.
What are the benefits?
- Invaluable pitching training and mentoring
- Workshops + masterclasses from industry experts
- One-to-one meetings with digital platforms
- Connect with doc filmmakers from all over the world
Who are we looking for?
- Filmmakers of short documentaries with new and original narratives.
- Open to applications from all over world, with documentary projects up to 30 mins.
- Special interest in stories that have a social, political or cultural narrative, take a solutions journalism approach or give us a new perspective on the changes we want to see in the world.
How does it work?
- The annual call for applications is open to all.
- Selection is based on the filmmaker’s proven ability and the strength of the story, characters and footage provided.
- 12 selected applicants participate in a 4 week intensive online training programme and one-to-one pitch meetings.
- Applications to GSDF 2020 are free.
- Entry deadline: Wed 12 August 2020 5PM
- Filmmakers announced: Late Sept 2020
- GSDF 2020: Oct – Nov 2020