SAGE is piloting this inaugural Rough Cut Lab for fiction, building on the success of the virtual documentary Rough Cut Lab earlier this year. This first virtual fiction edition will allow our most experienced feature editors to mentor and engage with emerging filmmakers, focussing on editors and directors with a suitable project already in post-production. Rough Cut Labs allow access to expert industry advice and feedback during the final editing stages of a project, and have proven instrumental in shaping the success of feature films as they enter the marketplace.
Three South African feature film projects – consisting of one editor and one director – will be selected to spend 5 days with world-class consultants, with input and feedback using Zoom and video review and collaboration platform Frame.io.
This call is only open to projects with a working rough cut, with up to 70% to be completed prior to the Lab, which will take place virtually from mid-November 2021. The application deadline is 22nd October 2021.
- Submission criteria:
- One-page synopsis of the feature film;
- The director and editor’s biographies;
- The current rough cut should be in a digital format easy to share, preferably online with the link and password provided, if applicable;
- One page each from the director and editor outlining the difficulties currently experienced with the film and / or problematic areas in the story. Please include what has been achieved up to this point;
- Films need to be independent and feature length – 70 minutes or above (so not commissioned from a broadcaster or streaming service);
Submissions that do not adhere to the criteria will not be considered. All submissions will be treated with utmost confidentiality by the SAGE selection panel.
Email materials to firstname.lastname@example.org